As part of The Schoolwide Integrated Framework for Transformation (SWIFT) Center, six schools were identified as Knowledge Development Sites for having exemplary practices in place for inclusion of all students. This presentation will summarize an observational study of how these schools included and supported K-8 students with the most significant support needs. Participants in this session will review identified best practices.
After this session, participants will be able to:
• Identify key features of the SWIFT model of schoolwide inclusive transformation and the selection of knowledge development sites
• Identify what was learned about the implementation of inclusive practices for students with significant support needs in seven areas in KDS schools: (a) teaching arrangement (who was providing instruction); (b) student engagement during activities; (c) general classroom supports; (d) supports provided to the student with significant support needs; (e) classroom work and activities; (f) student interactions with others; and (g) student choice opportunities.
• Discuss challenges that still need to be addressed regarding inclusion of students with significant support needs.
Jennifer Kurth, Kristin Lyon, Karrie Shogren
- AdvocacyInclusive Education
- Mount Vernon Square B
- Date:December 5, 2014
- Event:2014 Concurrent Sessions