Independent Living factors largely into the lives of the demographic of Emerging Adults (ages 18-29). In the U.S., approximately 40% of this demographic live independently and work full time. Emerging adults with intellectual disabilities require access to equal independent living and work opportunities. This can be accomplished through the use of Universal Design principals, the availability and use of specialized technology, and a supportive community.
1. Identify the special challenges presented by a transition to Independent Living for Emerging Adults with Intellectual Disabilities.
2. Identify the resources that already exist in your region that might support Emerging Adults with Intellectual Disabilities in their quest to live independently.
3. Identify the characteristics of the Safety Connection program which support Emerging Adult participants to acquire and utilize independent living skills.
- Community LivingTransition
- South Salon Grand Ballroom
- Date:December 5, 2014
- Event:2014 TASH Talks