Collaborative Teacher Preparation where candidates in general and special education work together to co-plan, co-teach and co-assess groups of students of diverse abilities is a key element in insuring the future of Inclusive Education. Separate teacher education serves to perpetuate separate settings for students with disabilities. Join us to discuss how every teacher preparation program can take the first steps towards collaborative teacher education.
1. Identify models and strategies used by project presenters and other successful collaborative teacher preparation programs.
2. Develop a repertoire of ideas for candidates for structured co-planning, co-teaching and co-assessing with students of diverse abilities.
3. Critique separate teacher preparation and how it serves to perpetuate separate education.
4. Share with colleagues the impact of collaborative teacher preparation programs on the collaborative practices of new teachers and their support of inclusive education.
5. Brainstorm new ways to reach out to colleagues in Teacher Preparation Programs to begin the process of collaboration.