The purpose of this presentation will be to share a conceptual foundation for including students with significant support needs and autism in science instruction. The Next Generation Science Standards can provide all students with enhanced quality of life outcomes by increasing skills in the practices and content of science. Examples from research and practice will be shared.
By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- 1. identify how the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) can be used to increase quality of life outcomes for students with significant support needs and autism, through
- 2. evaluating a conceptual framework for using the NGSS; and be able to:
- 3. summarize research-based examples of strategies used to support students in inclusive settings and with students who are culturally and linguistically diverse,
- 4. explain how to use these methods in inclusive science lessons that promote generalization and maintenance of skills; and
- 5. address lingering questions about teaching science to all students.
Leah Wood , Bethany Smith