This presentation proposes a model of self-directed learning for teachers of students with severe disabilities. A self-assessment for three areas of professional growth (school-based, community-based, and universal) as well as ideas for creating and attaining development goals will be discussed. Advocacy is addressed at each level. Professional growth for teachers of students with severe disabilities is critical in creating a brighter future for their students.
By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- 1. identify the three areas of professional growth presented in the session, including how the areas are related and ways in which professional growth activities can be classified;
- 2. describe specific ways in which professional growth can be addressed in each of the highlighted professional growth areas (i.e., school-based, community-based, and universal);
- 3. complete the self-assessment presented in the session and use the assessment to determine their own goals related to professional growth;
- 4. describe ways to monitor their own professional growth in order to measure their growth in the specific areas identified in the presentation (i.e., school-based, community-based, and universal).
- DAY 1. The Thursday Poster Presentation Session – Thursday, December 4, 4:30 to 6:30 PM. Grand Ballroom North B (Set Up will be 1:30 to 4:30 PM)
- DAY 2. The Small meeting sessions – Friday, December 5, 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Mtg Planner Office A
- BEST Posters Awards – Friday, December 5 at 2:10 PM. Grand Ballroom North B